Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Strawberry Purple Dead Nettle Salad

~10 min
So I've had a really stressful semester at school (should be noticeable from the lack of posts >.<)... I finally snapped the other day and just went hiking. I missed an appointment I had, but it was totally worth it to be outside and moving for once.

While I was out I found some delicious looking purple dead nettle and brought it back home with me. Food resulted:

Ingredients:
  • Purple dead nettle
  • Strawberries
  • honey (2 parts)
  • apple cider vinegar (1 part)
  • healthful oil of some type ( I used hemp seed) (1 part)
As always with foraging, you should be very certain you can identify the plant you have picked before you eat it. So be sure you can distinguish between these:

 Purple dead nettle:                                       image source

 
Poisonous look-alike:                                 image source

Purple dead nettle (PDN) is a relative of the mint family and has a hint of mintiness and very soft leaves. It paired great with strawberries. 

To assemble the salad: cut up your strawberries, clean and trim PDN leaves, and add them to a bowl. Mix the honey, ACV, and oil  together in a separate container in a 2:1:1 ratio. Coat salad and toss.

It also never hurts to taste the dressing before applying it to make sure the mixture tastes good to you. Happy trails :)




No comments:

Post a Comment