Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Quick Olive Oil Granola

~15 min
yield approx 4-5 cups, about 5 servings.

I tried out this recipe in order to create a substitute for cereal. Because cereal is delicious with or without milk and I consume it heavily. This granola clumps up well, is super quick and is still as sweet as store bought brands. I really like the taste of it and could easily see myself making it on a regular basis from now on.

Ingredients:


  • 3 cups oats (don't use the quick oats they don't clump as well- it has to do with size I think)
  • 5/4 cup nuts and seeds (I used sliced almonds, sesame and flax seeds because they are cheap. It is necessary to use at least 1/2 cup of nuts here. Seeds are too small and can prevent the granola from clumping if you use too many)
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit (optional)
  • a little over 1/6 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup sugar (any kind, I use brown)
  • 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350. Mix the wet ingredients together very thoroughly. Then mix the dry ingredients separately and combine the two very well. I usually work the mixture for about 5 minutes until everything seems homogeneous. (I also hear a food processor works great for this) Dump the whole mixture onto a cookie sheet covered in ALUMINUM FOIL. This stuff sticks so make it easy on yourself and don't let it give you too much trouble. Pat everything down to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cook in the oven for 5 minutes. Now turn off the oven and walk away for a few hours. Do it I dare you. Every time I try this my granola turns out perfect, just barely brown on the edges. All ovens are different however so you may have to adjust cooking time. Once cooked, scrape off into a container with a tight fitting lid. Keeps for several weeks. I haven't had any last longer than that because I keep eating it! 



All of the dry ingredients

All of the wet ingredients mixed thoroughly.
Now mix them all together really well!
Press onto a sheet and slide it in the oven...
The finished granola is just slightly brown on the edges and smells really good.
This is the thickness of my granola
Delicious in milk or with fresh fruit!

Lastly store it for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment